Articles about Repatriation
The topic of repatriating is very close to my heart since we are actively thinking about moving back to Germany. But what is the best way to do it? So, the last couple weeks I’ve been researching, reading and writing about the topic a lot. There are a number of articles I found, and I’m also looking for more personal stories of people that moved back home after being abroad for more than 3 years. If you would like to share your story, please get in touch!
- I love Jerry Jones blog “The Culture Blend”. He has some excellent posts about repatriation: Repatriating Normally: 10 Things That Make Coming Home Feel Weird and Leaving Well: 10 Tips for Repatriating with Dignity
- There is some good advice about … in this article from E. Perelstein “Got to go: What to Know: Minimizing Schooling Challenges When Repatriation is Abrupt.” For example:
“Tips for Emotional Departure Success:
- Say goodbye well;
- Take lots of pictures;
- Revisit favorite places;
- Get all important email addresses;
- Have a party.”
- Sherry L. Read has some good advice to prepare for repatriation in her article “Leaving home – leaving home”.
“1. Take time to acknowledge what you have learned or done. (…)
2. Recognize what will change. (…)
3. Identify elements of your expat life you want to hold onto back home. (…)
4. Plan your Good-byes.”
- Through expatmamas.de I’m trying to collect more repatriating stories and I found the blog of Tina Busch who is a repat (or ex-expat as she calls herself) and also wrote about this topic. You can find her posts here: Going back to Germany
- Repatriation Blues: Expats Struggle With the Dark Side of Coming Home (Wall Street Journal)
- Repatriation and the reality of going home (Expat Child)
If you know another great article about moving back home after living abroad of if you have some good advice yourself, please leave a comment! Thank you.